Ed Ed: Exclusive Interview
Born in Offenbach and having lived in Vancouver, Canada, Edmond Weinfeld aka Ed Ed has lived in various epicenters within the music industry including Berlin, Germany where he currently resides. Whether it be in DJing, Radio or music producer, his deep, tech fused tracks have gained great DJ support & have been popular with the likes of Mulackritze hitting the top ten singles chart on Traxsource. Currently Ed is establishing himself as the right hand of SASSE on A&R duties at his Moodmusic label.
1) Tell us more about “I Got (Something You Need)”. What was the main inspiration behind it and what prompted the musical direction on this?
Actually it was more of a coincidence while looking through vinyl vocal sample. The musical direction comes from a mix of funk, deep house and a touch of tech. My musical roots are influenced by funk from the 70’s, so all my productions have a touch of P-Funk, Parliament Funkadelic grooves and sounds.
2) Production wise, what is it about “I Got (Something You Need)” that makes it work?
I think the vocals combined with the pads and bassline. Rounding it up are the driving percussions and drums & the Moog bassline is pretty dope. When that kicks in, the dance floor definitely starts to move.
3) What is the one machine, program, sound, drum machine, technique that characterizes your sound?
Hmm, I think I really love the SP 1200 and Moog sounds for their Analog sound and feel. I love Ableton as a sequencer. So combing some old school with new school :)
4) One piece of kit that you simply cannot do without would be…
The EMU SP 1200.
5) Any advice for your fans on how to make it in today’s fast paced game?
Define your sound. Find your home base and continue building on that. Talent is cool but perseverance will get you there.