Glenn Underground talking all that Jazz.
Glenn Underground is the founding member of the Strictly Jaz Unit. He was raised on disco classics and freeform jazz in Chicago’s Southside, the place where house music was born. Taking inspiration from Chicago’s original pioneers, Larry Heard, Ron Hardy, Lil’ Louis, and the like, Glenn has produced some of the most well respected deep house music of the past five years. His releases for Cajual, Prescription Guidance and Peacefrog have set the standard for sophisticated dance music. He is one of the few DJ’s who can walk the line between deep jazz house, disco influenced house, and the kind of classics featured at the legendary parties of late 70’s Chicago.
1) Share a few artists that have influenced your sound?
2) Tell us more about ‘The Ism’s’ release. What was the main inspiration behind it and what prompted it’s musical direction?
This song is about how the club scene is dying because you have club owners who do not care about the state of “MUSIC” but only care about who is drinking in the club, and then the weird dress codes that comes with a whack nightclub that may be popular (that’s some skin color ish to me), they don’t understand that Us the people dance: we dance to escape daily situations and to also free our souls by expressing our pain, joy happiness through dance.
3) How would you describe these remixes to this song?
Anthony’s Remix embodies that late night, it’s time to go deep and take you on a mental trip feeling, Lil Louis’s Dub is just straight to the point that it’s gonna beat your ass hard on the floor feeling.
4) Where can your fans catch you in playing over the next few months and what is next for you?
Suncebeat In Croatia 2014, London in August 2014, NYC 718 Sessions Maybe, Djoon Paris, Chicago anywhere in Chicago.
5) Tell your fans some interesting facts they may not know about you?
I believe in music, i believe in what i do musically, also i am re-inventing my sound every chance i get, i don’t care about these new weird House Music traditions, just keep it about the Music. There is a season for everything but the Studio, The Dj, The Club are and should be all about the music.
6) What’s next for you?
Music and More Music
7) What is the one machine, program, sound, drum machine, technique that characterizes your sound?
There is not just one but it’s Universal Music Analog & Electronic/Acoustic
8) What is the one piece of kit that you simply cannot do without?
The Roland TR 909
9) What next release can we look for from you?
I am re-releasing the Mental Black Resurrection LP, and it will be interesting as i have changed a few of the mixes to the songs…So Get Ready for that.