The "ONE" & only Seven Davis Jr In The Hot Seat
Raised in California & currently residing in LA – Samuel Davis aka Seven Davis Jr is a gospel trained vocalist, artist, writer & producer. He was brought up on the classic vocal sounds of Michael Jackson, Prince, Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin. He evolved with a love for jazz and classical before venturing into artists such as Jimi Hendrix, Portishead, Tricky and Bjork. He discovered house in his early adulthood and this influence can clearly be heard throughout his productions. Funkineven calls him a new Prince, and he’s been co-signed by LA beat prophet Kutmah.
1) Firstly, thanks for taking the time out to chat with us. Tell us where you are and how you are feeling right now.
At this moment I’m in the studio, feeling well relaxed.
2) Where are you based? And what is the music scene like there?
I live in Los Angeles, California. The music scene in LA (to me) is similar to the movie Purple Rain. It’s fun.
3) The topic for today is your ‘Friends EP’ on Classic Music Company. How did you end up hooking up with the guys at Classic?
We met via mutual friends, no pun intended…
4) When we first heard the ‘One’ on the Defected Radio show we fell in love with it. What was the main inspiration behind the EP and what prompted it’s musical direction?
One was inspired by a series of beautiful relationships gone wrong and the quest for a “perfect” love. I had been listening to a lot of oldies, blues, funk and house at the time as well so it all soaked in.
5) Share a few artists that have influenced your sound?
Obviously, Prince is a big influence. I would say Stevie Wonder is equally. As well as Jimi Hendrix , The Beatles, James Brown, Queen etc. The list is longgg.
6) What is the one machine, program, sound, drum machine, technique that characterizes your sound?
I’d like to think what characterizes my sound is the vibes.
7) Who are some house music producers who you think are pushing the boundaries?
8) Tell us something we may not know about you…
I’m an Aries.
9) Where can we catch you performing over the next few months and what is next for you?
Since the “Friends” Tour in July I’ve been in the studio recording. Getting all weird and experimental. Will most likely be in the studio until I head back to Europe to play Dimension, Outlook and Deviation.
10) Where would you be without the music?
Probably tucked in the corner of some dark customer service call center..
11) And finally, what would be your short list of dream collaborations, past or present – dead or alive?
So many to pick. I would go for the ones who aren’t alive like Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse, Elvis, Sammy Davis Jr, Jim Morrison… to name a few.
Seven Davis Jr. Interview @ Lovebox Festival 2014