In The Studio with Sonny Fodera
Sonny just dropped his latest DJ mix project which is out now at Traxsource, so we thought it would be a great time to catch up with him for an Exclusive Interview about his studio equipment & more in the next instalment of ‘In The Studio’
1) What equipment do you have in your studio? (full studio kit list).
- Mac Book Pro Retina 15”
- PC i7 16gig of Ram
- Novation Bass Station 2
- Microkorg XL
- Native Instruments Mashine
- Elektron Analog Keys
- Moog Mintaur
- Korg Taktile 49key controller
- RME soundcard
- X2 KRK Rokit rp5
- KRK rp10 Sub
- X2 Focal Twin Be
- Washburn 6 string bass guitar
- Boss ME-50 guitar effects pedal
NOTE: Click the images for large versions
Sonny Fodera Studio Interview
2) What is your favourite piece of equipment to use in the studio & why?
My favourite piece of equipment right now is the Elektron Analog keys. Calude Von Stroke recommended this to me last time I was in Chicago, I went and played one and was instantly hooked! The sounds are dope, sounds like a cross between a Juno 60 and TI Virus.
3) Give us some insight into your production process. How do you typically begin constructing a track?
I usually start with a vocal if it’s a remix along with a beat and get it timed. If it is something original I start with a beat, bassline, keys then either record or sample a vocal.
4) What piece of studio equipment or production process defines the Sonny Fodera sound?
Well it used to be my bass guitar! Now I think it is Reason & Fruity Loops to get that swing on my drums beats.
5) What piece of hardware/software elevated your production to a higher level & how?
I think lately the Moog Mintaur has really helped with those warm basslines, The Moog has such a unique sound when it comes to bass. I used it on the bassline for “Reach Out” with Bontan that did really well.
6) What fresh equipment have you recently added to the lab?
The Novation Basstation 2. It is a great synth! Really cheap too, It also has a great arpeggiator function.
7) Your essential studio supplies (food, drink, cigs etc) are?
Coffee! Kevin Kind got me hooked on Starbucks Ready brew when I was in the states last year, can’t function without it!
8) What list of artists have influenced your sound?
9) Give us 3 of your favourite productions? (tunes that you created)
- All The Things
- Reach Out
- You’re The One
10) Any handy studio tips you would like to pass onto producers out there?
Always try new things and get into new gear and plug ins that are coming out. Stay in the know. Also work with other people to learn new things and tricks.
11) What new production should your fans be on the lookout for at Traxsource soon?
My new remix of Huxley & Shenoda – Premier!