5 things you don't know about Kid Fonque
Johannesburg resident & label manager at influential South African label , Kid Fonque is a key player in the South African music scene and fresh new presence on the global stage. With his distinctive style and wide-ranging taste, he’s had a vital impact on electronic music locally, and now he’s turning heads around the world. As an artist, his productions have garnered praise from the world’s leading tastemakers (Gilles Peterson, King Britt, DJ Cam, Osunlade – to name a few) and catapulted him into the global club and festival circuit where he recently completed gigs and tours in Switzerland, Hong Kong, London, Berlin and Amsterdam.
- 1) Although people overseas are familiar with my house and broken beat productions, people in South Africa know me as an eclectic DJ. I host a bi-monthly night in Johannesburg called #2sidesofthebeat where I host live acts and DJ’s across all soulful genres. I am a BIG (6’4) music geek/fan and host a weekly online radio show called #2sidesofthebeat too.
- 2) I am label manager at South Africa, one of the biggest house brands and labels in Africa. I have a hectic schedule and have been very involved in putting out lots of incredible artists and DJ/Producer’s from our crazy town Jozi.
- 3) I have been busy producing a very sample based Soul/House/Hip Hop album with UK Afro house Don D-Malice for over a year now. Should have some sounds for you in 2015.
- 4) I was so obsessed about getting into the music industry when I was younger that I accepted a job at a Record store where I had to sit and watch the security at the front door all day. I was a security guard watching a security guard. I used to sell so many albums over my lunch time the manager finally gave me a job as full time as a sales assistant.
- 5) My new single ‘What I Do’ featuring Nia Andrews took 1 year to come out. Been a long journey to get the remixes finished and the whole track polished up. I am like a very proud Dad now that’s its completed.