Nathan Barato In The Hot Seat.
Toronto producer Nathan Barato latest’s project is out now on via Traxsource & we got some time with him to chat about the release, the possible resurgence of his Roots and Wings label & more in this Exclusive Interview.
“Everytime I See You” available now on Traxsource.
1) Firstly, thanks Nathan for taking the time out to chat with us. Tell us where you are and how you are feeling right now…
Hey anytime! Right now I’m going through music, getting ready for my gig tomorrow night at Coda in Toronto… ass-dancing in my chair.
2) The topic for today is your latest hot creations release – tell us in your words a little bit about how it came to be…
Hmmm, well it started as a loop I made a few years ago and it was just this project sitting in hard drive for a long time. Then I stumbled on it again and I felt like it could use some vocal. Around that time I heard some music from Room 303. I loved his vocal work and flow, so I asked him if he’d be down to lay something on it. He added his touch which was a great first take. Eventually, via a friend, I got the track (at that point, just a 90 second clip) to Jamie Jones. I ended up running into Jamie at Amnesia Ibiza for a Music On night later that summer and he told me he loved the track and wanted me to finish it for release on Hot Creations.
3) On the production tip, what is the one machine, program, sound, drum machine, you simply can’t live without?
Honestly, I don’t have one piece I cant live without. Sorry to be dry but it’s the reality lol.
4) What’s the hardest part about producing an original track?
A lot of the times I have ideas in my head before hand and the hard part is figuring how to lay those ideas down the same way it’s rolling in my mind.
5) Where can your fans catch you in playing over the next few months?
Well tomorrow night I’m doing part 2 for my residency at Coda in Toronto. This time I’m going to do a 7 hour open to close set. Cant wait! After that I head to Argentina, then a tour in Italy then a weekend run in Ecuador before heading back home for Union (myself, Carlo Lio, The Junkies) on Nye in Toronto at Coda once again… then of course, we hit BPM 2015! Too excited about that.
6) While performing what hydrates you, beer, liquor, water, champagne, wine?
Hmmm, I’m open to whatever, love some cold beer though and some tequila, love water though lol, I’m a loser, I know.
7) Name one thing you wouldn’t do without while traveling?
8) What trax have been really tearing it up in club-land?
Honestly there is just so much. I could write over 100 tracks I love right now but for me, I often come back to a Mark Henning record or two. His simple records …I don’t know… if timed right, there’s just this moment that happens. He’s special.
9) What’s you’re opinion on the current state of house music?
Its great, no?
10) And finally, what’s on the 2015 horizon?
As always, Ive got a lot of music on the way – about 5 remixes due to release over the next 3 months, then a personal project I want to keep to myself for now. On top of that, I’m planning to relaunch my baby, Roots And Wings Music. Hopefully by the second quarter of 2015 we will have releases coming and events also.