"Time 2 Stop" w/ the 'S-Man'
Roger Sanchez is a legendary figure in house circles and has contributed greatly to the development of the genre ever since the 90s. His S-Man alias is reserved for special projects. This track The S-Man ‘Time To Stop’ was the very first under that alias, and was also the very first release on Hard Times The Label, so making this release very special. The remix package offers a combination of new remixes from contemporary stars such as Steve Mac & Mat Playford, Brotherton Wing and Louis Bailey, and also includes the original versions which have been digitally re-mastered to complete the package – out now exclusively on Traxsource
The seminal Hard Times label, having been re-launched, is now back with a third release that features the talent of Roger Sanchez in his ‘S-Man’ guise. We sit down with the legendary New York DJ, producer & remixer Roger Sanchez in this exclusive interview.
1. Hi Roger, thanks for hanging out with us, why have you decided to bring back the S-Man?
I felt it was the right time to bring the raw, dirty beats vibe of my S-man guise back. I saw a few years ago that the sounds of the club scene would head back to a similar place to when the S-man first appeared, and it was time to have him reappear.
2. The topic for today is your ‘Time 2 Stop (The Remixes)’ out Exclusively on Traxsource via Hard Times – tell us in your words a little bit about how it came to be and what you were trying to convey to your listeners.
I had started releasing new S-man tracks last year, and I was approached by the newly revived Hard Times to re-release my very first S-man track with contemporary remixes. I felt that it would be fun and once again, the time felt right for it.
3. How did you go about choosing who to remix “Time 2 Stop”, what was that process like?
I’m a fan of everyone who has remixed the track, and my requirement was that they each bring something original to the remix, and they did just that!
4. How long has it been since the S-Man last official release before his recent debut?
Wow, prior to “Dangerous Thoughts” and a Kylie Remix I did around the same time, I would say at least 10 years. It’s mad to think that time has flown by that quickly!
5. Tell us about your long history with the Hard Times imprint?
Time 2 Stop was one of the first released on the Hard Times label back in the 90’s when I was one of the residents at the parties. It’s great to see them back again!
6. What’s the main difference between an S-Man and Roger Sanchez Release?
Roger Sanchez productions are more song-based, melodic and also have more Latin rhythms in the mix and can cross over at times. The S-man doesn’t give a toss about radio AirPlay and tends to be darker, more bass-driven and dirtier sounds. He [S-man] ranges from deep to techno and can be very experimental.
7. Do you also DJ as the “S-Man” OR is that strictly a production guise?
I also DJ under the S-Man guise. Again, the vibe is darker and bass heavier. More UK in sound.
8. Any advice for that aspiring DJ or Producer out there trying to “make it” in today’s fast paced game?
My advice is to be original and prolific. It’s important to have a consistent release schedule and be yourself so that you stand out.
9. Where can your fans catch you playing over the next few months and what is next for you?
I’ll be playing with ‘Tough Love’ at Ministry Of Sound in London, all over Europe and the States.
10. Best gig of 2015 so far and why?
There have been quite a few fantastic ones – Undr The Radr WMC party, Double Six in Bali as well and Avalon in LA have all been brilliant.
11. What’s your opinion on the current state of house music?
I love that House has made such a strong return – it feels like the 90’s again with the state of House!
12. Where does a music media store like Traxsource fit into your musical agenda?
Traxsource is an important portal and is very true to the underground fans of dance music. I love what you do here and am happy to be a part of it!
13. Tell your fans something interesting they may not know about you?
I am allergic to cats! lol!